Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Organic Food Story

I usually write posts based on Fashion, Makeup and Interior Design. I decided to talk about a delicate topic that most people hear about everyday and that is Organic Food. As some of you may or may not know two years ago i decided to change my eating habits and try to eat clean and healthy as possible. When my mom moved to NYC Twenty five years ago she found herself a bit loss. Coming from the country side of the Dominican Republic raised on a farm where animals grew freely and without any hormones or pesticides. It was a struggle for her to find locally grown products like she was use to eat. She got use to the eating habits of a typical New Yorker not the healthiest or fresh. She always talked about how she use to feel after eating produce from her farm and every time we use to visit our family back in Dominican Republic we would stay in the farm. She always picking her fresh products to prepare her meals.
This use to be one of my father Bulls. 


 My father loved growing crops. His farm had corn, Yuca, plantains, potato, squash, lettuce, tomato, coffee and much more. Unfortunately a couple years ago my father passed away. He always reminded my mom and I the importance of raising happy animals and eating fresh food. About two years ago my mom and I decided it was time to change our eating habits and instead of buying what ever was on sale we started to choose wisely what we would put on our body and how would we spent our money on grocery. It has been the best decision that we have ever made. We feel great not only because we are eating something good and healthy for our body. But... because we are buying locally farm raised meat and veggies. We also eat farm raised eggs and milk. We enjoy buying the products and save money on items are worth buying. 

I decided to talk about this because It is important to know what you are putting in your body. I understand Organic food is expensive but actually my mom and I save money every month because we check on local products and we attend weekly to the farmers market. It is very important to check products that have the USDA ORGANIC LOGO



 One of my poppa Cows with it's Calf. This is just a gorgeous View. Her name is (flor del sol) Sunflower i named her when i was a little girl.

 It's about eating consciously and knowing what you are putting in your body. Trust me you will feel much better, your body will respond to what you are doing and you will not go back. It doesn't matter if you live in an urban jungle like NYC or on a farm upstate in Connecticut you have to know what you are eating and how the animals are being treated.

I apologize if i offend any of you with this topic. I Had a rant on how animals are being treated. I know i can't stop making people  treat their animals a certain way. But i hope i make a small impact in your life. You can start by just buying one product or grow something at home.

 Farm Fresh produce from the Union Square Farmers Market in NYC


XOXO Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment